Before the rise of the internet and new technologies, carrying out paperwork was a somewhat tedious process due to the number of paper pages and long waiting hours that we had to endure in public institutions. But now, we have at our disposal many platforms that allow us, among other things, to fill and pay our taxes online. In the state of Massachusetts, you can use MassTaxConnect to pay most of your taxes from your computer.
In this article, we collected key information about the use of this platform, so if you need to pay any taxes in Massachusetts, don’t leave until you read everything.
What is MassTaxConnect?
The state of Massachusetts, among other services, offers its citizens the possibility of filling and paying almost all taxes through the internet. The way to do it is by using the platform known as MassTaxConnect, and all it takes is creating an account and following the steps to complete this important process for all taxpayers and businesses.
Although it is possible to pay a large amount of state taxes through this platform, there are some types of tax returns that cannot be done this way.
Next, we list the 52 returns that can be filled as of January 19th, 2021, with MassTax:
- Pass-Through Entity Withholding.
- Financial Institution Excise.
- Gasoline License and Tax.
- Cigarette License and Tax.
- Ferry Embarkation Fee.
- Abandoned Bottle Deposits.
- Estate Tax.
- Life Insurance Excise.
- Cigar License and Tax.
- Alcoholic Beverage Tax.
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems Tax.
- International Fuel Agreement (IFTA).
- Jet Fuel License and Tax.
- Sales Tax.
- Withholding Tax.
- Motor Vehicle Excise.
- Meals Tax.
- Urban Redevelopment Tax.
- Sales Tax Services.
- Underground Storage Tank Delivery Fee.
- Vehicular Rental Surcharge.
- Non-Profit Tax.
- Marijuana Retail Taxes.
- Public Utility Excise.
- Gambling Withholding.
- Aviation Gasoline Tax.
- Gasoline Fuel Refund.
- Room Occupancy Tax.
- Boats and Recreational Vehicles Tax.
- Paid Family and Medical Leave.
- Corporate Excise.
- Performer Withholding.
- Insurance Excise.
- Personal Use tax.
- Motor Vehicle Sales/Use.
- Nonresident Composite.
- Satellite Service Tax.
- Club Alcohol Excise.
- Deeds Excise Registry.
- Ocean Marine Insurance Excise.
- Special Fuels License and Tax.
- Sightseeing Tours Surcharge.
- Special Fuels Refund.
- Lottery Annuity Withholding.
- Parking Facilities Surcharge.
- Oil Spill Fee.
- Use Tax.
- Pension Withholding.
- Non-Stamped Cigarette.
- Room Occupancy Consolidated Tax.
Personal income tax
Although the list of returns that you can complete with MassTaxConnect is considerably long, it is not possible to complete the Massachusetts personal income tax return through this platform.
For this specific type of income, you have two options at your disposal to complete it: online or by Mail.
If you’ve been a Massachusetts resident for the entire previous tax year and have your federal tax return completed, the E-filling option is for you. You just have to create an account on this page and fill in the necessary information.
Once you have completed the process, the Massachusetts Department of Revenue will receive your tax return and tell you if it has been rejected or accepted. If you make a mistake when filing your tax return, your return may be rejected, in which case, you must complete it again (this way or by Mail).
Currently, many people decide to do their administrative procedures online, but if this is not your case and you prefer to complete your tax return on paper, you can also print it and send it by Mail.
On this page, you can verify the addresses of the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
How do I create an account on MassTaxConnect?
The steps to follow in order to do this are very simple, many times we tend to think that doing paperwork online is complicated because we do not have someone to advise us, but the truth is that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue has made a platform quite friendly for all users.
- The first step is to access MassTaxConnect and clicking on the “Sign Up” button.
- Once you click, you will see on the screen the registration options according to your case.
- Next, the system will ask you which verification option you want to use (in case you connect from a different device than usual). There are three types: an authentication app with a QR code, text message, and email. Choose the one of your preference.
- When you select which verification option you want to use, you will receive a confirmation code that you must write on the platform. Once you write it and click on “confirm” you will be logged in to complete the return you need.
🡺 READ MORE: How to file a business taxes extension?
Should I use MassTaxConnect?
In principle, it is a platform that gives you the opportunity to complete your tax obligations from the comfort of your home, just by accessing the internet. This is a good reason to utilize it.
But, you can also be subject to penalties if you do not comply with the payment or filling in the return in the appropriate format (in this case, online). Fines can be up to $ 100 for each breach you commit (improper payment made, failure to return or transmitting data or documents.)
Therefore, it is important that you review the filling and payment requirements of the tax return that you must fill out and most importantly, doing it in the appropriate format and in a timely manner.
What if I have a tax preparer?
In the event that someone else carries out your tax-related procedures, the best option for you is that instead of sharing your access data (username and password), you authorize this third person to the sections of your session that you allow them in.
The way to do this is by entering your session and entering the data of your tax preparer so that they in turn can access your session.
We recommend you not share your username and password with anyone.
Co-founder of AllAboutCareers, one of the top sites for graduates, students and school leavers websites. I studied at the University of Essex. This is my site I talk about finance and help with administrative processes in the USA.