For people who live in Connecticut, applying for unemployment benefits is so easy that they can do it online by login into the Department of Labor website. In fact, any person who is out of work (due to no fault of their own) can apply to receive this compensation; however, they will have to fulfill specific eligibility criteria and provide support documents.
Connecticut is currently one of the top 3 best states to file for unemployment benefits (after New Jersey and Massachusetts) since the amount of financial support they provide is better than elsewhere.
If you are interested, here are the main things you need to know about these benefits in Connecticut and how to request them.
Who is eligible for unemployment benefits in Connecticut?
- You must be a resident of the state.
- Be unemployed (fully or partially) due to no fault of your own.
- Have worked in Connecticut for at least 12 months and earned a specific amount of salary.
- Be in continuous search of another job during the time you receive compensation; this part will require that you register into the American Job Center.
- Be able (physically and mentally) to accept any suitable offer (full or part-time).
How to apply and login
The Department of Labor (DOL) is the institution in charge of issuing unemployment benefits in Connecticut, and although you can apply by phone or mail, the most common way is to do it online by login into their official website.
If this is your first time, this is what you need to do:
Go to: https://portal.ct.gov/DOLUI, scroll down until you see a blue box that says ‘New Claims’ and click ‘File a new claim for state or federal unemployment benefits.’ On the next page, click ‘Proceed.’
In this part you will create your account for CT Direct Benefits, a different portal used only to file or continue an initial claim. For your weekly claims, you will have to use another account on the Labor Department’s Tax and Benefits System, which we will explain below.
After reading all the information, click the ‘Apply for Benefits’ green box.
NOTE: If you want to make sure, you can click the ‘Am I Eligible’ yellow box to take a survey.
Now you can login if you already had an account to receive unemployment benefits in Connecticut; if you do not, click ‘here.’
Fill all the blanks with your information: Full name, Social Security Number (SSN), valid email, password, and then click ‘Continue.’
You will receive an email confirmation in your inbox; open it and follow the prompts to finish with the login process.
Now, just enter to your account and start a new claim. You will have to complete a Claimant Questionnaire, which you must answer with only accurate and true information; then, click ‘Submit’ to finish the application.
Once the Department of Labor has processed your claim, you will receive a new email with further information on what to do next.
NOTE: Be sure to check your email daily, including the Junk or Spam folder.
According to a study made by Zippia, Connecticut is currently in the top 3 most supportive states when it comes to this type of compensation; in fact, it provides a maximum weekly benefit of $649 for a maximum of 26 weeks.
In consequence, if you were chosen to receive any amount of unemployment benefits, you will have to login to the Labor Department’s Tax and Benefits System from Connecticut and file weekly claims.
- Go to: https://sso.ctdol.state.ct.us/English/CommonLogin/CommonLogin.aspx.
- If you already have an account, type your username ID and password, and click ‘Login.’
- If you do not have one, click ‘Create an Account’ and then ‘Continue.’
- Enter the required information and follow the prompts to submit your weekly claims.