The process to request unemployment benefits in California is generally simple: You will have to login to the Employment Development Department, submit an application, and if you result eligible, you could receive the assistance.
In this state, it is called the “Unemployment Insurance Program” or UI, and it is designed to help people who have lost their job for reasons beyond their control.
In the following article, we will give you more details on how to apply, and specifically how to login into the Benefits Program Online.
Eligibility in California
This is the most serious part of the process since you have to be really honest about your current situation. Some people often tend to exaggerate their issues in order to receive more benefits. However, lying on a state application is considered a crime.
So, our recommendation: be honest and check all the eligibility requirements to confirm that you can opt for this program.
In California, you will have to fit some criteria regarding:
- Your monetary status (all earning out of a base period).
- Employment history.
- Causes of unemployment.
- Availability to work again (including a weekly job search and being physically and psychologically able).
- And a legal authorization to work if you are not a citizen of the United States.
For further details on these five items, we recommend you to read: How to request unemployment benefits in California?
Although there are other ways to apply (which we will explain below), doing it online is the most simple and convenient option. You just need to do the following:
Create an account
If you already have an account on the Benefits Program Online of California (which also manages unemployment benefits), you can skip this part and go to Login.
On the other hand, if you do not have one, you must create it.
- First, go to www.edd.ca.gov and click on ‘Benefits Login’ on the blue top bar.
- Below the blue button, click ‘Register now.’
- Read all the Terms and Conditions, check the box to confirm that you have read them all, and click the ‘I Agree’ button.
- Fill the blanks with the required information, such as: Your personal email, a password, four security questions (and answers), and a personal image and caption.
- Complete the security check and click ‘Next.’
- Review all your information and if it is correct, click ‘Submit Registration.’
- You will receive an email with a link to finish your registration (keep in mind that it will expire within 48 hours). Select it, and you will be ready with this part.
- Click ‘Benefit Programs Online’ to continue.
Now you can successfully login to request unemployment benefits in California.
- Put your email, check the security box, and click ‘Log in.’ Then write your password and click ‘Log in’ again.
- Select ‘UI Online.’
NOTE: An important thing you need to know is the schedule to file claims through UI Online. Be sure to do it on the following available time:
- Select ‘File New Claim’ and read all the instructions about how to apply, especially the part that says ‘What You Need to File a Claim Online.’ Once you finish, check the box to confirm that you read everything and click ‘Next.’
- Answer the questions and click ‘Next.’
- Put all the information that is required, completing every part: General Information, Last Employer Information, Employment History, Additional Information; do not worry, the prompts are easy to follow. However, if you have any doubts during the process, call Technical Support: 1-833-978-2511.
- Check the Summary to confirm everything is correct and if it is, click ‘Submit.’
- You will receive an email with a confirmation number, save it and wait for further information.
What to do next?
After completing the login and application process for unemployment benefits in California, you will have to wait one or two weeks to receive an answer.
If you have not had any feedback, you can call a representative on this number: 1-800-300-5616 (8 am – 8 pm, every day except on state holidays).