Applying for a credit card it’s a big responsibility, so you should always think about the main reasons for having one. If you already made up your decision, we recommend you a Chase credit card.
It has a great variety of options according to your needs, flexible payments, and it’s recognized in lots of countries. Also, it can be used for retailers, shops, hotels, restaurants, travels, and even online purchases.
Keep reading, and you’ll learn how to apply and receive your card.
Choosing the right credit card
The first thing to do is research about all the types of cards so you can compare the pros and cons.
1. Make a list of the items you want to pay with the card. This will help you as a guide when you look at the descriptions and benefits.
2. Go to the official website (chase.com) or call the bank (1-877-242-7372). Here you can find all the information about their products, but in this case, we will focus on the credit cards button on the top of the index below.
3. Read the available options carefully. Be sure to select the type according to your needs. You can also do individual research if you know exactly the kind that you want.
All the cards have different uses and requirements.
- Travel (22)
- Cashback (7)
- No annual fee (12)
- Small business (6)
- Airline (12)
- Hotel (7)
- Balance transfer (3)
- Rewards (30)
- Refer-A-Friend (9)
If you’re not sure how to start, you can use the “Try our Card Finder” tool. Just click the link, and it will take you to another page to answer a few questions.
4. Other things to consider: besides the purpose of using the card, you should narrow your search with other criteria such as:
- Which payment plan it’s easier for you? You could think about making a full payment each month if the purchases are small or making a partial payment (with a low-interest rate) if the purchases are big.
- How’s your credit history? If you don’t have a good one, you’ll be limited to a few basic cards.
5. Ask for advice and recommendations to a friend, colleague, or family member that has a Chase credit card; this is real experience information that can help you to be more precise.
6. PLUS: we recommend you to read this article about The 6 Best Chase Credit Cards of March 2020 to get updated information.
Apply for a Chase credit card
Select the card
Look for the card you chose and click the “Apply Now” green button. All this application is online, but if you prefer, you can call the bank: 1-877-242-7372 (in the US).
However, if you do it by phone, the process may take longer since the bank worker has to write everything you say and then read it back to confirm.
IMPORTANT: If you haven’t signed up to the website, instead of “Apply Now,” it will say “Learn More.”
Read the instructions and complete de application
This part is self-explanatory, so you may not have trouble filling the boxes.
They will ask you for things like personal data, mailing address, phone number, where you work, annual gross income, Social Security number, etc.
Be sure to put only real information and not make any typing mistakes; otherwise, they can deny the application.
Also, as many other banks, if you stay inactive for several minutes in the browser window, the website will log you out, and you’ll lose all the process.
And then check your inbox, they will send you an email confirming the reception.
Wait for the approval
You’re almost done; if your application was approved, it usually takes 3 to 5 business days to receive your Chase credit card.
After you receive it in your mail, go to: www.chase.com/verifycard to activate the card (you must previously have an online account or create one).
➡ LEARN ALSO: How to get a state ID card.
What if they denied the application?
If you compared all your financial capabilities to all the requirements from the Chase credit card, as we mentioned in the beginning, this should not happen.
But if it’s denied, you’ll receive a letter explaining the reasons and, if you don’t agree, you can call for a reconsideration.
Make sure to have the right arguments to convince them to change the decision.