To become a Utah resident there are a few important things to know, so if you are moving to Utah State and, furthermore if you want to have local tuition rates, keep reading.
To become a Utah resident and make it official has its perks, but there are some legal standards that you have to fulfill, the main one its time, so be aware that you are facing moving for more than one year, that it’s going to be the most important thing on the requirements list.
You have to know that there are a few standard requirements to start up the process. First of all, you have to be a United States citizen, have been granted legal immigrant or permanent U.S resident status, or have been granted asylum or refugee status under the U.S immigration law.
Living in Utah for twelve months
- 1 Living in Utah for twelve months
- 2 Be financially independent to become a Utah resident
- 3 Become a Utah resident by relinquishing residency in any other state
- 4 Social Security verification
- 5 Provide the documentation of a current Utah vehicle registration
- 6 You can register to vote in Utah
- 7 How to become a Utah resident for Non-Citizens
Utah’s officials have to have a way to prove that you indeed want to become a Utah resident and there are ways to do so, such as:
- Rental contracts
- Gym membership
- Library card
- Mortgage bills
- Pay stubs or utility bills (for twelve continuous months). While you can pay your bills online, you can also send a check as payment by mail or do it in person. Just look for the address where you are going to mail the check, or where your local payment center is, either way, you should also know where can I cash a personal check.
- Major credit card bills that are dated within 60 days
- Property tax notice with the statement or receipt dated within one year
- Court documents
- In addition, you can provide a letter from your employer, ratifying your presence for a year
The letter must be dated, include your name, Utah address and the date that you started working and must have a company’s official signature.
You have to have in consideration that you must not leave the State for more than a 30 days period. In case that you are applying to get your residency for in-state tuition rates, the twelve year period has to be prior to the first day of class (R512:5.3.1).
Be financially independent to become a Utah resident
To get your paperwork on that, you will have to include the first two pages of the most recent tax return (Form 1040) and Utah state tax return (Form TC-40).
In case you are single, 24 years old or younger and you did not file a federal tax return, you have supplied your parents most recent tax return and Utah’s state tax returns (your parents social security numbers and amounts can be blocked out), the students social security number has to remain (R512:4.11).
You cannot use a W-2 form to verify your financial independence.
Become a Utah resident by relinquishing residency in any other state
Supply a copy of a current Utah driver’s license
Steps to get your driver’s license:
- Make an appointment in a driver license office or on the Website
- Fill out the application (you can do it online and also if you walk in a driver license office)
- Get your photo taken
- Submit proof of your education as a driver (your driver’s license from another state will work as well)
- Supply proof of identity, social security number and two (2) documents of your Utah address. Visit this site for required documentation
- Take the eye (vision) test
- Pass the written test and the driving skills exam (they will let you know which one will be required)
- Pay the fee of $32 (If you are 21 or older) $39 (If you are 20 or under age)
There are considerations to take into account, for example: Faxed or photocopied documents are not accepted by the driver license office. The documents will be imaged and stored in a database and at the end of the process will be returned to you.
Another consideration is that the approval of the documentation may not occur on the same day, therefore the applicant will have to return for another visit.
If your documentation is in another language, you have to deliver a certificate translation, from a translator approved by the division’s translator.
The original of the translation is the document to be considered for identification purposes.
In case that the appearing in the identity card, previous driver’s license or passport is different, you will have to supply the legal document that authorizes the name change. This exception includes adoption papers, marriage certificate, divorce decree, citizenship, and guardianship.
Social Security verification
One of the documents requested is the social security verification that is issued by the U.S government. But, if you don’t have it available at the time, you can provide other documents that contain the Social Security number and your name as:
- A W-2 form
- Non-SSA-1099 form
- SSA-1099 form
- Pay stub that shows the applicant’s name a Social Security number
In all of these cases, no photocopies are allowed.
If you are requesting a “veteran” indicator in your certification, you must supply proof of honorary discharge a DD214 or Record/Notice of Separation for WWII Veterans.
Provide the documentation of a current Utah vehicle registration
In case you are a student does and you don’t own the vehicle you are driving, the officials will require the submission to check if they are not listed on the registration.
If you are a student qualifying for residency for tuition purposes, these submissions will be showing that you have established yourself to live in Utah and will be your permanent residence State.
Relinquishing ties with other states probes your intention of moving permanently to Utah. The link to review the policies can be found here: https://dld.utah.gov/driver-license-faqs/
You can register to vote in Utah
There is also another way to prove that you will become a Utah resident if you register to vote in the State. Use this Web to do so Online: https://vote.utah.gov/
Nonetheless, in the case that you are not registered to vote in any other state and you do not want to register in Utah either, you have to indicate about your decision in the application form to become a Utah resident.
How to become a Utah resident for Non-Citizens
When you are foreign there are specific cases as:
- You have been granted legal alien or residency
- Resident status or have obtained asylum or refugee status under U.S. immigration law
- You are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same standards applicable to U.S. citizens
- These cases should verify their statuses with the residency officer an application and submit the paperwork.
Co-founder of AllAboutCareers, one of the top sites for graduates, students and school leavers websites. I studied at the University of Essex. This is my site I talk about finance and help with administrative processes in the USA.