Damaged or junk cars are often an obstruction in people’s parking lots; they take up a lot of space, and unless the owner is into mechanics, they are not useful.
But, getting rid of them can be very profitable; you can sell them and gain some money to buy another car, or take care of other needs.
If you live in the state of California and you want to junk a car, in the following article you will find different ways to do it.
Junk cars classic sale
Commonly, people who sell used or junk cars do it by publishing on the local newspaper, listing vehicle details and contact numbers; however, this method is not very effective nowadays.
Keep in mind that advertising is expensive, and you have to pay for each publication.
Also, most people use the newspaper to find cars in good conditions, so if yours is junk, the chances of selling it are meager.
Junk cars sale through agencies
On the other hand, the other way to sell your junk car in California is through agencies, which will most likely pay in cash.
There is a possibility that you can also receive payment in personal checks, but you have to get information about the agency you are selling it, to avoid any possible scam. Once you receive your payment in hand, it is time to cash in, and in that case, you should know where can I cash a check.
These agencies focus on buying junk cars and have several branches throughout the country, particularly in California. This is an excellent benefit since Californians would not need to spend time or money to take the car from one city to another.
Note that your car still has value even if it is in poor condition, has some defects, or simply does not turn on. Its parts and bodywork can serve to these agencies to recycle them or use them in another car.
And, if the car cannot be moved, sometimes the offer includes picking it up with cranes.
Transfer of vehicle ownership
The last step in selling a junk car is to proceed with the transfer of ownership, presenting all the required documentation to the California Department of Motor Vehicles. If you do not complete this step, for legal purposes, the car will still be your property.
Generally, this paperwork is done by the buyer, and he also must cover the car registration tax expenses under a new property title.
It is essential to be aware of the successful completion of the transfer of ownership; otherwise, if the buyer commits a crime or has an accident, and the vehicle is still registered with your name, you could have serious legal problems.
➡ READ ALSO: How to transfer ownership of a car to a family member.
Requirements to sell a junk car
All junk car buying agencies have a website where you can request the quote to sell your car; you just need to provide the following information:
- Name, address, and telephone number of the vehicle owner.
- State, city, and zip code.
- Year, brand, model, condition, and color of the vehicle.
- You must specify whether you have the property title or not.
- Motor and transmission condition.
- Body condition, missing parts, and description of damage (if any).
On the other hand, there are other articles and websites that might be helpful if you decide to sell your junk car:
- California Department of Motor Vehicles: This website provides accessible, understandable information on how California citizens can sell and buy vehicles.
- Abandoned vehicles: This portal analyzes the health and environmental dangers of junk cars that are not disposed of correctly.
- Selling a car if you still have a loan: This article of Lending Tree shows how to start the process and all its considerations.
- Consumer guide when buying cars: Here, you can find some other buying tips, specifically how to manage your budget.
Co-founder of AllAboutCareers, one of the top sites for graduates, students and school leavers websites. I studied at the University of Essex. This is my site I talk about finance and help with administrative processes in the USA.